Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Somethings aren't meant to be....

We had discussed getting a dog in the past but the timing never seemed right...first we were renting an apartment, then we couldn't decide on a breed, and then we wondered if we would be home enough to have a dog. When my dad passed away I was left with an overwhelming feeling of loss and finally convinced Mr. that a dog would be a great pick me up. Additionally, Mr's mother had a similar situation when she was about my age, when her father passed away she got an amazing Jack Russell puppy. Mr. knew how much that dog meant to his mother and I think he wanted to replicate that for me. We had spend months debating what breed we would get so when the time finally came and we still couldn't decide, we went to Petfinder.com to see if we could find a dog available for adoption. After searching pictures online we stumbled upon a beautiful Husky and called to find out if she was still available. We drove to the foster house and met Sheeba, the Husky. She was a nice looking dog and we loved her demeanor and temperament. Knowing that we had two cats at home that had never met a dog before, the foster agreed to loan us the dog for the night to see if it was a match. We stopped at the store and bought everything we needed: bowls, a crate, a dog bed and food. Sheeba was approximately 6-9 months old and had already been trained to sit and walk on a leash. Mr. loved this! We kept the dog overnight but after the second day Mr. realized that he had a HORRIBLE allergy to this dog. After a few more hours he insisted that we take the dog back. I was sad but deep down I knew she wasn't the dog for us. First, I couldn't overlook the amount of shedding this dog had done in the short amount of time we had her at our house. There was fur everywhere! We already had two cats and the thought of having one more animal to vacuum up after really didn't sit well. Additionally, I just didn't feel a connection with her.

Here is Sheeba the Husky.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. tis true...my mr. surprised with a wonderful jack after the death of my dad...i had watched the neighbors jack for months and smiled at this delightful dog...happy moments watching this playful pup...and then one day... as a surprise for me...my mr. brought home...inside his coat...with a little head peeking out the top of the zipper...a tiny jack of my own... white with chocolate brown around his eye and ear and a pink belly...and i named him...brody

    ReplyDelete